Tuesday, September 13

The Vine

Posted by Andrea

Read John 15:1-16



I found an old journal. I hate reading old journals. The writing is generally terrible, and I have a hard time reading terrible writing. The emotions are so raw and foreign. I am in such a different place now than I was then, it feels like I’m reading something someone else wrote.



In November of 2007, I had a just 4-year old and a 7-month old. Things were crazy in my universe. I couldn’t seem to control a single thing about my life at that point. I was completely overwhelmed with my responsibilities as wife and mom, and felt like I missed the mark every single day--several times. I want to share with you what I wrote that day, because in many ways, it was the inception for this Drops concept.


Wonder. Thrill. Awe. Majesty. Trembling



These are the things I want to feel at the feet of my Lord. Can I glimpse your majesty while my little boy plays? Can I tremble at your voice while the baby sleeps? Can I be in awe of you over dinner dishes? It doesn’t seem possible, but I’ve got to find a way, Father. If I cannot see past my everyday into your everlasting, I will loose my joy daily.


So often I see my children, husband, and housework as distractions from experiencing God. In reality, they are quite the opposite. My children teach me daily of God’s character. My husband loves his wife even as Christ loves the church and sacrifices for his family all the time. By fulfilling my obligations with a happy heart, I am modeling right behavior for my children, but I am glorifying God at the same time (Philippians 2:14).


Think about some of the Bible heroes who really experienced God: Moses, David, Daniel, Paul and the “distractions” that they had to contend with: desert, war, lions, beatings. Looking at these examples, it is clear to me, that I’m still working on the baby steps. Its our job as moms to be faithful in a few, so when the time comes, we can be faithful in many things (Matthew 25:21).



I will cling to the Vine
I will drink of His words
I will cling to the Vine
I will be pruned
I will cling to the Vine
I will bear good fruit
I will cling



It is through abiding in (or clinging to) the vine that we can find joy daily. Glue yourself to his side. Cling to him for all you are worth and I promise you, even among tantrums and spills and budget concerns, you will find wonder, thrill, awe, majesty, trembling, and joy.

No comments: