Wednesday, August 31

The Busiest Mom



How appropriate that the school year is here already and I'm feeling crazed!



Busyness is a life full of things that may sound important, but make a normal women feel crazy. The beautifully photoshopped women in the magazines say “you can do it all, plus a little more, while looking fantastic (your children will look fantastic too!)”. This isn’t reality.



I’m not super woman – usually I’ve just fallen on my proverbial butt when this fact comes to mind.



I feel so important when I am busy. A friend asks, “How are you?,” and responding “I’m SO busy,” elevates my status. We get things done, we pack our days with amazing things. La, ti, da....



No matter how frenzied it makes my family. Or that my health suffers. Or that I haven’t crossed “daily devotions” off my list all week. Or that I forgot to tell my husband about something going that needed his input. Or that my kids are acting terrible because I don’t have time for them. Or that my house is messy and dirty.





I rush and rush and ignore all the big little things because I have a list that NEEDS to be completed. I committed to others and said, “yes” to all this. Now it is too much and I’m feeling completely over-extended. Sound familiar?



How appropriate that I am dealing with this right now. My heart beats faster as all those “busy” things are swirling around in my head giving me no peace. I woke up early this morning without the alarm clock because my brain wouldn’t rest. And then one more thing popped into my head. Drops. Great, I need to think of something to write about Monday morning to “help busy moms discover abundant life through Jesus Christ.” No pressure there. I cried out to God, “HELP! What in the world can I write about? I’m too busy to even think.”



Well, there is your topic.




Where do I go from here? I’m already too busy. Maybe you are reading this and you don’t even have time to finish because that to-do list is a mile long. There has to be a way out of this mess…






  • It isn’t just me that my actions effect. I feel strongly that I need to apologize to God and my family for letting us get so busy. My children get dragged from here to there regardless of their sleep, food, and attention needs. And the man of the family hears my insane schedule and shakes his head knowing this will end badly and knowing there is no time for him. The main Man, the God Almighty, also knows there is no room left for Him. The “abundant” life he talks about isn’t filled with a mile-long to-do list.







  • I can cancel a few things. There are probably a couple things that are skipable in the busy schedule. If it isn't life or death, definitely cross it off the list.







  • Pray for strength. There are so many things on my list that are really important and I can’t cancel! Too many people depend on me, I’ve already paid money for it (such a great excuse!), this is a “once in a life-time” opportunity…. the reasons go on and on. Truly, there are instances when we need to just get it done and God can help! “I’m sorry Lord for taking on too much, please see me through this with grace, confidence, and health.”







  • Don’t do it again! I know what I am capable of and what is a sane pace for my young family. I know when I say “yes” to too much and when all those responsibilities make everyone crazy. I get this feeling in the pit of my stomach, “I really shouldn’t agree to this,” (well hello Holy Spirit, long time no see). We know our limitations, yet ignore them over and over again. Maybe for the sake of feeling importantly busy or maybe because NOT being busy is too scary. We need to be reasonable with our time. 






I will make better choices in the future. I will remember my priorities (God, husband, children…. then everything else). I will let the busy stuff go! I will make my life and the lives of each member of my family so much more pleasant. When those pseudo super women tell us to do more, we can remember this verse: “Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.” (Romans 12:2). And the things that are “good, acceptable, and perfect” never make anyone (or her family) crazy busy.










“Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him, and he will act.” 







(Psalm 37:5)


4 comments:

Grace said...

Fabulous! You completely nailed it! Thanks for this great reminder!

Shawna said...

Thanks for not crossing Drops off of your to do list. It was as refreshing as Ice Pops and Playing. Two things ALWAYS on our list! Bless you Alysun for reminding us of such a wonderful gift.

Anonymous said...

Alysun, When my kids were little and I was yelling for them to get going, Matthew would stop and ask, "Are we rushing - because I hate to rush?" It would stop me in my tracks, force me to stop for a few seconds and then I've have to tell him, that no, we weren't rushing but we did need to keep moving so that we could get out the door on time. It was usually that I hadn't allowed enough time so that my lack of planning made me upset and that was passed on to the kids! Oh, to be able to go back and have a "do over"! At least you're aware of the busyness and are attempting to make needed changes.
Love,
Aunt Marlene

Linds and Manda said...

I won't go into all the crazy details that make this post almost a mirror image of my life right now. I'm so overwhelmed and to boot I am trying to get over a head/chest cold! When I find the energy to get something done I am confronted with something that sends me three steps back. I'll be praying the prayer you listed, "I’m sorry Lord for taking on too much, please see me through this with grace, confidence, and health.” I'm frustrated with my circumstances and my kids have been feeling the brunt of that. Thank you for your reminder than I am not alone and that Christ is enough!