Sunday, January 15

Loved Wide, Long, High, and Deep

Read I John 4




Who can truly describe undying, unquenchable love? The greatest poets have tried, but mere words only come close. A glimmer, a reflection of the hugeness that is love.




I remember a greeting card commercial where a young man is trying to express his love for his girlfriend. He is down on one knee proposing and says something like, "I feel so much for you that it is like there is something caught in my throat, like I'm choking and might die. My stomach is so upset I think I might throw up." He just keeps going, making choking and retching sounds. The look on the girl's face is a bit horrified. The guy should have left this moment to Halmark. Maybe they could have come closer to expressing true love.




As parents, we have all felt it. Words can't do the feeling any kind of justice. Whether through birth from our own bodies or gifted through adoption, that crazy connection that is so deep and unfathonable is indescribable.




Come to think of it, when I held my first born child against my breast, loving her so much, it did feel like there was something caught in my throat, like I was choking. The ache in my chest nearly painful with the swelling of love.




Quiet simply: love.




We take for granted love like this for our children. We take it for granted with other loved ones too. Of course I love my parents with undying love. Of course my husband is everything to me. We have the feeling ourselves, but keep it here in this world. Like it is only ours to possess. We rarely look through heaven's eyes to the One who created it all.



Paul the Aspostle must have known it. Saw at least for a moment through God's eyes. He must have really "got it." He got the love that the Heavenly Father has for us. In order to create the kind of love here on earth that leaves us speachless, He first loved us with more emotion that we can even fathom.





"And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love

may have understanding, 

to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ

and to know this love that surpasses knowledge

—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." 

Ephesians 3:17-19




Yes, we have love here on earth. Our relationships consume us with emotion, but until we understand God's love for us, we live without fullness.




Take a moment to try and grasp this. You are loved. You are loved wide, long, high, and deep. The love Christ has for you surpasses all knowledge. It surpasses any written sentiments by talented poets or any clumsily spoken words by an admirer.



How I think your life would change if you lived with this kind of love enveloping you. Embracing His goodness and tenderness in your life. There isn't room for discontent, fear, or loneliness when the Almighty, Counselor, Creator, Great High Priest, King of Kings, Good Shepherd, Mighty One, Prince of Peace, the Savior of the world loves you.




He. Loves. You.




No matter what this day holds or what it already delivered into your weary arms, remember you are indescribably loved and cherished.





"We love because He first loved us." 

I John 4:19




Written by Alysun Peters








2 comments:

Linds and Manda said...

Thank you so much for the reminder. I can get so caught up in what is down here and miss God's huge love and grace.

Andee said...

I love this so much! Thank you for sharing it. I felt hugged :)