Thursday, March 22

Accepting the Unconventional White Picket Fence

Read Ephesians 1:3-10 




My five year old, Philip, was adopted by my husband almost two years ago.



On the surface I was very excited and happy that Philip would grow up knowing my husband as his Dad. But underneath, I was scared. I was worried that my son would have a lot of questions and perhaps feel left out. I was scared that the world would tell him that being adopted wasn’t good enough.



As Mom’s, we over analyze everything. We play out worst case scenarios until we are blue in the face. Or is it just me?



Eventually, after wasting countless hours worrying, God revealed to me that I’m adopted too. It is by the blood of Christ that I have been adopted as a daughter of the King. I’m loved no less than my brothers and sisters. God’s affection is just as much on me as it is on you. We are all equally loved no matter what we have done.



God doesn’t love Susie Homemaker more because she is involved in three different bible studies, speaks fluent Hebrew, and runs a homeless shelter. The love that God showers on us is not contingent on the deeds we perform.




“For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and 

this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of

God--not by works, so that no one can boast.” 

(Ephesians 2:8-9) 



It’s so easy to compare ourselves to other women around us. The world is constantly telling us to be dissatisfied with our circumstances. The media is saturated with messages promoting discontentment. Everywhere we turn someone is smarter, or skinnier, or has a nicer car, or has better behaved children.



Fortunately, God isn’t a man of this world. He is a man who sees our hearts and is with us in the moments that we think we are alone. He spreads his love equally across this confused world.



My son is a major part of this family. If it weren’t for him I wouldn’t be the woman that my husband fell in love with. Everything about this family is exactly how God intended it to be. He took what looked like a gloomy situation and turned it into a testimony of his grace and mercy.



Put away any apprehensive feelings you may have acquired over the years and come to rest on the truth that you are a chosen member of God’s family. You may not act like or look like your fellow sisters, but I assure you, you are evenly favored by God.




Written by Ashley K.

No comments: