Thursday, September 23

Learning to Rest

Contributed by Kari

Read Isaiah 30:12-18



He left. He said that he would and he did. Next came such darkness and sadness. I had never experienced the depth of sadness before. My home was missing furniture, small belongings and the man I had promised to love.




Isaiah 30 (New Living Translation)

12 This is the reply of the Holy One of Israel:
“Because you despise what I tell you
and trust instead in oppression and lies,
13 calamity will come upon you suddenly—
like a bulging wall that bursts and falls.
In an instant it will collapse
and come crashing down.
14 You will be smashed like a piece of pottery—
shattered so completely that
there won’t be a piece big enough
to carry coals from a fireplace
or a little water from the well.”





Then my best friend came and sat with me until I fell asleep. I slept the best rest I had had in 2 ½ years. Although I was crying buckets and rivers and never hungry and could barely get out to walk the dog, I was coming out of a fog at the same time.



15 This is what the Sovereign Lord,
the Holy One of Israel, says:
“Only in returning to me
and resting in me will you be saved.
In quietness and confidence is your strength.




I began delving into the Bible study my ladies group was working on. Every time I opened the study book or my Bible, the Lord was there to comfort me. Every time I cried myself empty in prayer, the Holy Spirit was there to continue on for me. Every time I had to figure out how to sort stuff and pack and move and all the myriad decisions, his wisdom was there for me.



Friends came out of the wood work and were angels for me. One friend stayed a couple of weeks and made sure I ate. Another came and rearranged furniture. I was learning about compassion.



18 So the Lord must wait for you to come to him
so he can show you his love and compassion.
For the Lord is a faithful God.
Blessed are those who wait for his help.




In the midst of my confusion and sadness I was humbled and blessed and built up . The more time I spent in his word, the more he ministered to me. I learned that if I cut out a lot of the extra stuff; the busyness, I heard his voice. I learned that it was okay to sit still and rest in him.



Ten years later, I am still amazed that when I use the quietness around me, he is there. He really does wait for me. He really does show me his love and compassion. He really is faithful and he really has blessed me.



The New International Version says he longs to show us compassion. Isn't that awesome? I spend much of day wanting someone to long for me, and yet, the God of the universe is doing just that!



18 Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you;
he rises to show you compassion.
For the LORD is a God of justice.
Blessed are all who wait for him!






Kari Wright is married to a hardworking farmer and is a home school Mommy to two awesome kiddos. She is a nature lover, dog lover and God lover. She shares her heart in a personal blog and we are delighted to feature some of it's content here. Thank you, Kari, for putting this post together for us.  http://myparadigms.wordpress.com/

No comments: