Wednesday, September 29

The Mean Reds

Posted by Andrea

Read I John 4:16 and as listed


From Breakfast at Tiffany’s

"You know those days when you get the mean reds?" --Holly.
"The mean reds? You mean like the blues?" --Fred (Paul).



"No... the blues are because you're getting fat or because it's been raining too long. You're just sad, that's all. The mean reds are horrible. Suddenly you're afraid and you don't know what you're afraid of. Do you ever get that feeling?" --Holly.
"Sure." --Fred (Paul).
"When I get it the only thing that does any good is to jump into a cab and go to Tiffany's. Calms me down right away." --Holly.



Whether it’s the blues or the “mean reds,” we all know what it’s like in the dark. To feel abandoned, afraid and ugly. Breakfast at Tiffany’s didn’t solve Holly Golightly’s problems any more than retail therapy or chocolate therapy help any of us in the long run.



On days that bad, the only cure is a good romance.




You need to read a story full of extravagant, lavish, relentless love. The story of a king in love with a common girl so wrapped up in her own “issues” she doesn’t recognize his pursuit of her for what it is. The one I’m thinking of is kind of long. Some might call it an epic. Translation: you probably shouldn’t try to digest the whole thing in one sitting. I’m willing to provide the Cliff Notes here, but you should really try the whole thing for yourself sometime.



NOTE: I have intentionally not linked the following passages to Bible Gateway because turning pages is more romantic than reading a computer screen. Paraphrases are by me. Read the real thing first.


Jeremiah 31:3
I have loved you since before time began and will love you forever. I have drawn you with loving kindness.



Exodus 20:6
I will show my love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.



Deuteronomy 7:8
It was because I loved you and kept my promise that I rescued you and bought out of slavery.



I Chronicles 16:34
My love lasts forever.



Psalm 17:7
By the wonder of my great love, I will save by my right hand those who take refuge in me from their enemies.



Psalm 33:18
I never take my eyes off you who believe me, on you who hope in my unfailing love.



Psalm 42:8
By day I direct my love, at night your song is with me.



Psalm 89:33
I will not take my love from you, nor will I ever betray my faithfulness.



Psalm 103:4
I redeem your life from the pit and crown you with love and compassion.



Song of Solomon 2:4
My banner over you is love--I announce my love for you so the world will see and know.



Hosea 2:19
I will make you mine forever; I will keep my promise to you in righteousness and justice, in love and compassion.



John 13:1
Having loved my own who were in the world, I now show you the full extent of my love.



Romans 5:5
And hope does not disappoint , because I have poured out my love into your hearts by the Holy Spirit.



Romans 8:39
Neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate you from my love.



Revelation 1:6
I love you and have freed you from your sins by my son’s blood, and have given you a position of honor in my kingdom.

No comments: