Thursday, September 16

Preparing for Eternity

Posted by Grace


Read Psalm 90



So teach us to number our days, That we may present to You a heart of wisdom.

Psalm 90: 12 



As a mom I have the tendency to be swept into two different pitfalls. First, I feel trapped in each day, as if the crying will never stop, the laundry pile will never disappear, and the stinky diaper smell will never dissipate. Then I swing to feeling like life is speeding past me with such ferocity that I go into panic mode. Amazing isn't it, how when we lose focus of what we are called to, life has an uncanny way of falling completely to pieces. What is our focus? What are we preparing for every day while we are here on this earth?


Eternity.





We are so consumed with our material lives that we completely miss the point of it all. This world is not our home. One day, possibly much sooner than we would dream, we will be standing before our King. How ashamed I will be of all of the wasted time I spent feeling discontent, angry, envious, irritable, impatient, grumpy, lazy, unappreciative and many other things that I choose to let into my life on a daily basis. I will clearly see how how what I look at now as "so important" is nothing in light of eternity. Absolutely nothing.


So how do I number my days?


I must first realize that not only is every day a gift, but it is also a fleeting opportunity. If I look at every dish washed, every nose wiped, every sleepless night as merely an intrusion on the plans I have set up for my life, I will completely miss the beauty of the eternal perspective.


I choose to see each mundane, tiring or frustrating event that comes my way as an opportunity to give glory to God. By working whole-heartedly and thinking joyfully, I am choosing to cash in on a limited amount of moments I have. And I can say, "I know that there is more to this life than living it for my own pleasures."


Life is fleeting. We were all reminded of that in a very real way once again this week. Pray for the Lord to teach us to number our days. Then, the Bible says, we will gain a heart of wisdom. And that is what we need! He is the one who knows the number of our days. And He is the one who knows how we should live them!



Grace is a devoted wife to her hard working man (she treats him like a king!) and mom to 4 girls under the age of 5. She keeps a personal blog and has generously agreed to share her writing and be a guest on Drops. Thank you for contributing Grace! Are you interested in writing for Drops? Our goal is provide encouragement to busy moms while growing our relationships with Christ. Contact us as DropsofLivingWater@gmail.com.

No comments: