Tuesday, January 18

In the Rapids

Read scripture as noted



It was a bad day, emotionally speaking. As I browsed through one of my favorite blogs meant to encourage and uplift, I found myself circling the drain of despair. These women are so talented, I thought. They have accomplished thing in their lives already and I feel like mine has been on pause for the last, oh, I don’t even know how many years.


I let the feelings of inadequacy and inability wash over me, and I sobbed a few bitter tears and asked God why and what a few times in unfriendly terms. And then I felt a word sinking into my awareness. As I was busy trying to absorb my own feelings of insignificance, a word soaked in along with it.


Lies.


As I was being tossed about in the white water of insecurity and crashing into boulders of doubt, I felt the sureness of that word and grabbed for it. I clung to it, closed the browser window I was overcome by and typed the following list:


Things I Refuse to Believe Today


• That God can’t use me because I am not good enough, accomplished enough or goal oriented enough

• That my dreams are invalid because I cannot see a way they will possibly come true.

• That just because someone else is already doing well what I want to do I cannot do it well too.

• That I made up this calling.

• That others have more talent in their pinky finger than I do and I should therefore go back to bed and have a         donut.

• That life should be fair.

• That I am alone.

• That I should give up


And as I wrote each one of these things down, Bible verses stored securely in my heart poured their way onto the bottom of the page. This is precisely why we are to memorize God’s word. The Holy Spirit uses it to pull us out of the rapids when things look hopeless.

• “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33

• Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.” Deuteronomy 31:6

• Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10

• For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

• Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua1:9

• If God is for us, who can be against us? Romans 8:31

• Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of TRUTH buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the FLAMING ARROWS of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. Ephesians 6:13-17


Later that day very same day the words of Joni Eareckson Tada filled in the blanks.


People look at others who seem more attractive, smarter, richer, healthier, and appear to get all the breaks in life. In comparison, our minor defects begin to look like deformities.
Thankfully, the Bible has good advice for people prone to compare. Just listen to this verse from Colossians 2. It says, “In Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, and you have been given fullness in Christ, who is the head over every power and authority.” Basically, the apostle Paul is telling us we have been given – now get this -- "fullness in Christ."




In other words, we are complete in Him.




We have everything.




We lack nothing.




There's no need to compare.




Once we comprehend this powerful truth, our so-called defects become reminders of how "full" we really are -- because we have "fullness in Christ;” not fullness in what we look like or what we can do or not do. No, our fullness is much, much richer and deeper and higher and better than that!




When you and I realize our fullness in Christ, our completeness, the inferiority complex releases its grip, and we become content. Rich and deep contentment! My happiness, my contentment and joy springs from the fullness of Christ which dwells in me, even with all my infirmities and limitations.




After all, you can't improve on "complete." You can’t get anymore full than full. You can’t have more if you already have everything.


Realizing that the devil was twisting words designed to encourage to fashion fiery arrows made me angry.


Once I wrote down those scriptures, I read them out loud at him out of spite. And I am sharing this maybe too personal experience with all of you.


Because he’s done it to you too, I’d wager.


Don’t let him get away with it. Fight back.


By Andrea

No comments: