Thursday, January 13

Stoop Without Sighing




And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, 
having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. 

(2 Corinthians 9:8)



As a mom of young children, I can find myself sighing. Too often, actually. The cries for “more milk,” “Help me,” and “Read to me,” can seem endless. And, all too often, I sigh because I’m being interrupted or delayed in a household task or a homeschooling assignment.


I’m not talking about ecstatic or contented sighs. I’m talking about that back of the throat, disgusted kind of sigh. You know the one.



Recently, I was reminded how God stoops without sighing. I can’t remember where I initially heard that metaphor, but it’s a powerful one in my mind.




God reaches down to humanity, similar in how we moms reach down to our little ones. He is so much bigger, so much more powerful than we are, as we are larger than life to our children. And like our babies before they can crawl, we are helpless without Him.


Yet, when He reaches down to us, He does so without sighing. He is not irritated or disgusted. He is hindered in no way. He loves us with a perfect love. And it’s His joy to help us and to serve us.


That is the kind of parent I desire to be: to help my children with an open heart, to not feel hindered by their interruptions, to see filling their requests as part of my parental privileges. But, sometimes this is easier said than done.


What can I do when I’m tempted to sigh?


1. I can take a deep breath – Waiting before I respond often gives me time to rethink my actions.


2. I can count my blessings – Over the last thirteen years I’ve had my share of fertility struggles. What a blessing that God has granted me these precious children. A momentary struggle to pour some milk with a good attitude is just that – momentary. But, my children are for eternity.


3. I can remember His promises – I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.


4. I can go to Him – Taking a few moments to pray can change my perspective. He will give us all that we need.



And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, 
having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. 

(2 Corinthians 9:8)


While we cannot be perfect mothers, He will give us all we need for the task at hand. What joy!




Borrowed from MomLifeToday.com. Written by Jessica Fisher.

1 comment:

Andee said...

So good! I just heard the same sigh I use coming form my son as he was frustrated about something. Sobering the things they pick up that we don't know we dropped!