Tuesday, February 15

Back to Basics

Read Colossians 3:1-17







This morning I went to WalMart at 5am. I sported pink striped pants that are about an inch too short, blue and green fuzzy socks and my very favorite Mom Shoes. The top doesn't matter, because it was hidden under a basic black coat. I looked ridiculous. But refrigerator biscuits and red heart balloons were a rather urgent need.


When I read the following post (borrowed from incourage.me) it resonated. I hope you like it too.



I love clothes. But I’m hardly a fashionista. I look at the Target ad to see what’s in style. (Don’t judge me).
But these days, clothes go way beyond basic necessities.



Example: Jeggings.












Enough said.



I want to talk about your basic all purpose garment. And it’s not a black cotton tee.



It’s love.



Before Jesus, we wore ill-fitted, dirty clothes. (Basically a bad episode of WHAT NOT TO WEAR).
After meeting Jesus, we’ve been dressed in a new wardrobe. Every item, custom-made to fit us perfectly, by The Master Tailor. We wear His label. And we look fine, I might add.



But then we have a bad day. The alarm doesn’t go off, we wake up late, we’re rushing around. We go for convenience and ease and slip on our old clothes: impatience, unkindness and judgment. We layer up in jealousy, gossip and low self esteem.



When we clothe ourselves in the past, we hide our true beauty.



But when we dress in the wardrobe The King has created for us, we wear:




  • Compassion
  • Kindness
  • Humility
  • Quiet Strength
  • Discipline
  • Even-temper
  • Forgiveness
  • Confidence




Girl, seriously, what are you waiting for?



Put on love. You’ll never regret it.



Plus, totally it’s your color.



“Regardless of what you put on, wear love. It’s your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it.” Col.3:14 (The Message)




By Kristen Welch as published at (in)courage.me

No comments: