Wednesday, April 20

My God Shall Supply All My Needs







"And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus."

Philippians 4:19



My God will supply all my needs. I believe this wholeheartedly. I've heard the familiar verse all my life and it even has a catchy tune sung often in my Sunday School classes as a child. Yet it is difficult to see God supplying my needs on a daily basis. 



I needed a reminder.




I was deeply troubled last week over a particular situation in my life. I would tell you exactly what was going on (I trust you that much!), but sometimes using a particular case makes it hard for others to identify. I don't want to use a specific and have anyone reading this miss the point that God supplies ALL needs, not just the obvious need for food and shelter. Just know that I was very upset over this situation, worrying and praying.



It wasn't until later in the week that I looked back and saw how God orchestrated a solution in my life. He supplied my needs. Through a friend who I haven't talked to in months and a meeting had never heard about.  Was it coincidence that both the friend and the meeting spoke directly to what I was going through?



I don't believe in coincidence. I believe in God supplying. 



The verse in Philippians, "My God will supply all your needs," comes from the writer Paul. He wrote a letter to a church in Philippi ecouraging them in their Christian faiths. He says in chapter 4, so you heard I wasn't doing so great financially. Yep, it was pretty bad there for a while. [My own paraphrase, Philippians 4:10-13]. 



He goes on to thank them for being concerned, but reassured them that he was never truly desperate. God supplied what was needed!



In a separate instance, Jesus sent out the disciples to preach with no "necessities" for their journies. Anyone looking would say, "they are going to have some needs real soon!" Jesus said, "Take nothing for the journey except a staff — no bread, no bag, no money in your belts." [NIV, Mark 6:8]. Yes, there would be needs, but God would provide. Sending them out with so little was an assurance that God would take care of everything.




My life is pretty cushy and I have very few true needs. Unlike the disciples, I have bread, I have a huge house to stash all my stuff, and I have money in my belt (or in my case, a snazzy red giraffe print handbag).  But having a need allows God to show his power.



"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 

II Corinthians 12:9




Last week I prayed for God to take away my particular burden. He didn't. Instead, he provided comfort and encouragement. It wasn't physical like a clean pair of clothes or a place to sleep at night. It was emotions. As Dictionary.com says, a need is a lack of something deemed necessary. Oh, how I deemed this necessary! It was urgent and compelling in my life and God provided. His power was made perfect in my weakness.




It can be so encouraging to think about times God has provided. Whether physical or emotional, God desires to take care of our needs.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I needed this. I am encouraged, we serve a Mighty Good God.