Wednesday, October 12

What Are Friends For?


Read Isaiah 40:26-31




Plain and simple, my feelings were hurt. It was what was implied as much what was said and I left the encounter wanting to cry. My thoughts and feelings whirled around in my head at every available opportunity. My emotions were a wreck. Errands, tasks, and chores kept me occupied only for a moment before the sadness swelled up again and I ruminated once more on those feelings.




Several times throughout the rest of the day I tried to call my short list of people who will listen to me vent. I wanted some comfort for my hurt feelings and someone to say, “That person is so mean! They have no right to treat you like that. You are really wonderful.” But every call either went to voicemail or I was interrupted before I could share any details.





I eagerly waited for my husband to come home so we could talk. I just needed to talk. To vent. To express my feelings. Maybe it wouldn’t change a thing, but I would feel better… right? And then my husband called to say he wasn’t coming home until very late because he needed to get a bunch of work done before the forecasted rain. I went to bed alone… nursing my hurt feelings and heavy heart.




Not only did I hold tight to my hurt feelings from earlier in the day, I now carried frustration over not being heard by anyone else. I was having a pity party because no one cared about little, ol’, me. I am not making light of the feelings that were so strong at the time, because we all have them. Women are powerfully emotional. The need to ruminate, mull things over, and talk through issues is part of our DNA. It is what we do with those feelings that is important.




Alone with my thoughts, a song came to my weary heart. An old hymn we’ve all heard a thousand times, What A Friend We have in Jesus [Joseph Scriven, 1855].



What a friend we have in Jesus,
all our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry
everything to God in prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit,
O what needless pain we bear,
all because we do not carry
everything to God in prayer.




So I prayed. I bared my heart giving out all the details.
I was saddened and frustrated and Jesus listened to my prayers.



Have we trials and temptations?
Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged;
take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful
who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness;
take it to the Lord in prayer.




My burdened seemed lighter and I felt.... Heard. Loved. Comforted.




Are we weak and heavy laden,
cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge;
take it to the Lord in prayer.
Do thy friends despise, forsake thee?
Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In his arms he'll take and shield thee;
thou wilt find a solace there.




Take away the “thees” and “thous” and these are very beautiful words, “In His arms He’ll take and shield you. You will find solace there.” What a comfort to have a friend like Jesus who longs to hear our pain. Our anxieties and worries never get sent to voicemail or get dropped or interrupted. Jesus cares for our every sorrow.




Sleep came easier than it would have had I vented to anyone else. Venting so often stirs up bitterness instead of peace. As the thoughts of hurt feelings and sad emotion welled up again and again in my ever racing mind, I squelched them with thoughts of a true friend. Can we find a friend so faithful? Take it too the Lord in prayer.

No comments: