Monday, October 17

What Are Friends For

Written by Ashley


Read Ruth 1:8-18



I’m a wife.  I’m a mom.  I’m a friend?



With all of the roles I’ve taken on, I’ve become a pretty vacant friend.  I read in the bible all the time about how important it is to have friends and how important it is to be a good friend.



 “A friend loves at all times...” -Proverbs 17:17



 “Do not forsake your friend...” Proverbs 27:10



I was challenged by a devotional that I read to send a card or a letter to a friend every couple of weeks.  Can you believe that?  A challenge to send a card?  After I got over how ludicrous it sounded, I realized that it had been months, maybe even a year, since I had mailed out a card or letter to a friend.  Talk about humbling.



The story of Ruth and Naomi is encouraging.  Naomi’s husband died leaving her with their two sons.  They each married and Naomi was very close with both of their wives.  About ten years after the death of her husband, Naomi lost both of her sons.  She instructed her son’s widows to return to their families because she was just an old lady that couldn’t take care of them.  But her daughter-in-law, Ruth, refused to leave Naomi’s side.  Together, they went to Bethlehem.  Ruth could have complained about her circumstances but instead she worked hard and remained a loyal friend.



Ruth would never neglect to send her friend a card.  She would never settle for a simple text message or worse, a facebook post, wishing her friend happy birthday.  She would never forget to add her friend to her prayers each morning.  Ruth had it going on.  I want to be a friend like that.




I’ve been satisfied with shallow friendships and haven’t fully committed to being a great friend.  The excuse of being a wife and a mother seemed to make that okay for a while, but I can only handle so many “subliminal” messages from God telling me I’m going the wrong direction!



It is so easy to get caught up in our children and our husbands and leave no room for anyone else.  I understand that they take top tier, but God would not have designed friends for us if he didn’t think we needed them.  Sure, as Mom’s we now have to make more of an effort to maintain friendships, but if it’s what God wants then we know that it has to be worth it.



Don’t feel guilty for going and grabbing a coffee with a friend instead of emptying your dishwasher.  Our friends are a fantastic outlet for us.  Your husband will probably appreciate it too.  Let’s be honest ladies, he probably doesn’t want to hear all about your new frown lines or your latest couponing quest, but your girlfriend does.



Make time.  Call just to chat, send a card, bring her over a dessert.  Do something that lets her know you are thinking about her.  Think about how much you would appreciate a gesture like that.  You have permission to go out and be a good friend!




 "Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. 

For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. 

But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up!"

Ecclesiastes 4:9-10

No comments: