Thursday, November 3

His Instrument

Read Ephesians 2:1-10


I use rubber gloves to tackle my dishes. But the rubber gloves don’t do much on their own. In fact, lying on the counter, they are useless. I’ve tested them, believe me. I leave dishes in the sink, the gloves right nest to them.



Nothing.



I’ve given them time, left them in there overnight.



Nothing.



They just sit there. Limp, yellow, worthless.



Until I put them on. Then, they work. Together, we power through mountains of dishes. We scrub, we rinse, we dry, we accomplish good things.



Sometimes we get pretty full of ourselves, don’t we? We fancy that we can handle life’s challenges on our own. We convince ourselves that we can take on the mountains solo.



But just like my floppy rubber gloves, we are not up to the task without Someone else’s hand directing us, literally animating our digits to His bidding.



I pray that I might be as flexible as my dish-doing buddies when God is trying to do good work through me.



For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, 
which God prepared in advance for us to do.
Ephesians 2:10

1 comment:

Linds and Manda said...

Thanks Andee. Great picture of how we need to let God work in and through us. Know when I go to put on my rubber gloves after supper tonight I'll think of something more meaningful than, "ack...more dishes!"