Thursday, December 8

Living and Active

Read Mark 1:29-31


I unearthed my Bible. It doesn’t take long for it to get buried, a day or two of mail coming in or kids’ books being moved around and it’s out of sight, out of mind. Then the world starts feeling frantic, tensions mount, and chaos begins intruding. I stop about wondering what happened to my cozy little world and how such small things can make it seem so chaotic. Then I remember. And I dig out the Bible.


This book, is so. very. Special. I put my hands on the cracked leather cover, I flip through the filmy pages, and I know. I just know that what ever words I come across will breathe life into me. And they do. Weather I end up in Jeremiah, John or Jude, the Words of God bring comfort.


I feel weight lifted off my shoulders, I feel my lungs fully inflate.


God’s Word is alive and active and I know this to be true, because I have experienced it so many times in my life.


And I’ve neglected it so many times.


Instead of heading straight to it when life gets crazy, I stack bills on top of it.


Today, I read the tiny, short little story of when Jesus healed Peter’s mother-in-law. He took her hand, helped her sit up, and the fever suddenly left. Poof. Gone. Beth Moore points out, “Christ could have healed [her] from the front porch. He didn’t. He came to her and drew down close. After all, she was in no position to help herself.”


That is exactly how I felt when I cracked open the Bible this morning. Like I invited Christ in off the porch. He drew down close, and I felt better immediately. My life issues didn’t magically resolve themselves. Nothing tangible changed in the slightest. But I remembered who was in charge. And that he cares. He really cares enough to get in close and equip me to get up and begin serving.

1 comment:

Linds and Manda said...

"My life issues didn’t magically resolve themselves. Nothing tangible changed in the slightest. But I remembered who was in charge. And that he cares." These thought popped out to me when I read this this afternoon. I've been learning this first hand over the last couple days, well, really my whole life and I wish I could say I will master it. The last couple days have been filled with anxiety and when I asked for peace there didn't seem to be any. Then I remembered that God giving me peace doesn't necessarily mean he will change my circumstances. If he always did that I wouldn't know as deeply that I need him...all the time. I'm so thankful he wants to come in off the porch for someone like me who just doesn't get it the first 36 times! Thank you for the reminder.