Tuesday, December 13

Something Beautiful

Read Jeremiah 31

I am struggling to find a way to make myself attractive
to You.


I am trying to be more deserving of the gift You gave
to me, so free.


I am searching for the water that can wash me clean
enough to earn Your love.


I want to stop all the things that break Your heart, but
come so natural to me.


It's funny how all I can be is someone completely ugly, and yet when You look at me,


You don't see a wretch,


You see a reflection


of something beautiful.


I can't believe You could fall in love with me.


Lyrics by Todd Agnew



We try to make ourselves attractive to God in countless ways, but he is not looking for perfection, he’s looking for the person he created.


We try to earn his love, but we cannot, because it is a gift he has already given.


We search for ways to clean ourselves enough to be in his presence, but our righteous acts are like filthy rags.


Under our own power, we try to break free from our bondage to sin. But only his power is strong enough to release us.


We cannot imagine that we, yet sinners, could be loved enough to deserve Christ’s sacrifice. But the facts are facts.


He loves us. We stand before him attractive, deserving, washed clean, and beautiful.


“I can’t believe You could fall in love with me.”


Believe it. Belief turns our wretchedness into a mirror reflecting his astounding beauty.


“Arise, my darling,
my beautiful one, come with me.
See! The winter is past;
the rains are over and gone.
Flowers appear on the earth;
the season of singing has come,
the cooing of doves
is heard in our land.
The fig tree forms its early fruit;
the blossoming vines spread their fragrance.
Arise, come, my darling;
my beautiful one, come with me.”
Song of Solomon 2:10-13

No comments: