Friday, June 8

Training Up A Child: Easier Said Than Done

Parenting is so hard. Some days I wonder what my kids are going to think of me when they are adults. What kind of stories are they going to tell? Are they even going to like me?



I am constantly wondering if I'm doing it right. I have parental guilt one moment and feel like Supermom the next.



Will they think I was "Supermom" or will they refer to me as "Suckyparent"? I don't know. But what I do know is this...



"Train a child in the way he should go, 

and when he is old he will not turn from it." 

 (Proverbs 22:6)



Train them in what way? I'm still totally bad at this Lord....



A little help here would be nice.



Oh, the Bible, that's the way.



Thanks Lord.



When we raise our children in accordance to the Bible, God promises us that our children will not turn away from it when they are older. Well, what if we try to teach them in the way of the Bible, but we are human and screw up all the time?



Well, God knows we are going to screw up. He promises us...



"He has delivered us from the domain 

of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom 

of his beloved Son, 

in whom we have redemption, 

the forgiveness of sins." 

(Colossians 1:13-14.)



Here's the deal.  Your children need to know that you mess up, hear you apologize and repent for it and know that tomorrow is a new day. We are all a work in progress. In my opinion, one of the most important things that we can teach our children is that we are all vulnerable to sin. Yet, we have an avenue for forgiveness through our Lord, Jesus Christ. And that slowly, but surely we can allow Him to create better humans out of us.



My kids make me want to be a better human. They are the reason I am a saved woman today. I have a lot of work to do and they are going through this process of change with me. I am eternally grateful for my salvation. I can't even begin to imagine where I would be without it. I want my children to know that and to appreciate their salvation. I want my kids to know that they have a legacy to uphold here...their Mama was saved by the grace of GOD.



He's got a lot of work to do in me yet. Lord, please help me to raise my children under your care, that they may grow to honor the One that saved their Mom and Dad and who is carefully caring for them all their life.



Borrowed from Katie, aka The Hippy Chick and Jesus Freak, who tells it like it is and appreciates all of the wonderful benefits this earth has to offer.


No comments: