Sunday, June 17

Stuck. Where Does My Help Come From?

Read Psalm 121





One of my first early childhood memories is of manure. Pleasant, right?




Like other memories from when I was young, the details are hazy. The crazy things my 5 year old brain chose to hold on to... it's like watching a short, grainy video clip from my past. In this "manure memory," I am looking down at my own skinny legs, buried to the knees in barnyard poo and I can't move my feet. I try and try, but all I can see in my periphery is more poo and I am stuck.




Because I was young and this event tramatic, I forgot some important facts. How did I get in the manure? Why was I there? I remember eventually being rescued by my dad and him saying, "Those boots are staying there," as my boots disappeared completely, buried in the mire while my little legs and feet were lifted free. How did I get home without shoes? Did I get in trouble for losing my boots?




And most importantly, could this be why I don't like barnyard animals? I don't have the answers to these puzzling questions because all I can recall is staring down and being scared and clueless of a way to get out of that sticky situation.





When we are stuck, whether physically or in our personal lives, our tendency is to look down. How am I going to get out of this mess? It might be real manure or a relationship drama that only reminds us of the stench of it.




Stuck knee-deep with no end in sight.




We fixate on where we are stuck. Everything around us is frustration, poo perhaps. But looking down makes it impossible to see the possible solutions. Even obvious blessings will be ignored because, like my little-girl self, I couldn't take my eyes off my problem.




"I lift up my eyes to the mountains,

where does my help come from? 

My help comes from the Lord, 

 the Maker of heaven and earth."

Psalm 121:1-2




What happens when we lift our eyes? Our focus changes. Instead of mire as far as the eye can see, we see help is on the way.




A greeting card I had pinned to my bulletin board in my college dorm room said, "ship happens." Oh yes, yes it does. I appreciate the ironic sentiment and the twist of words that makes it a lot less like swearing, yet still descriptive. We aren't going to sail through life without a care just because we have God watching over us. Actually, the Bible tells us that "trials" (read, sucky stuff) will happen. But our comfort is knowing we are never, never alone.



"The Lord will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore." (Psalm 121:7-8)



Lift you head and look up. Pray your way out of whatever mess you are in today.The Lord God, maker of heaven and earth sees where you are. He knows where you are stuck and He is the solution in your sight.





Written by Alysun P.

No comments: