Friday, November 12

If Fear Ever Frays your Edges


Today's post is borrowed from Holley Gerth over at Heart to Heart with Holley.

I pull the jeans from my closet, hold them up to the light. I'm about to fold them neatly into my suitcase when I notice the rough cuffs.

I grab scissors and snip at loose ends. They only fray more. I tug and pull. (Did I mention these are mygood jeans?)

I sigh and lean back against the wall. And as I do, I realize my jeans aren't the only thing with frayed edges.

My heart has them too.


You see, I'm packing for theRelevant conference this week. I'm looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones, to learning and time with Jesus.

And yet (confession coming) a part of me still feels insecure.

Will I fit in?

Will people like me?

Fear pulls at the edges of our hearts.

My jeans are frayed.

And I am afraid.

Neither of us seem quite good enough at the moment.

And as I stand there, jeans still in hand, a change begins to happen. It seems Jesus lays His hands on those frayed edges, those places I wish were different, and He stiches them up with grace. He tells me again...

Love all. Please One.

Be who I've created you to be.

You are enough because I am enough in you. 

Each line is like a thread that mends my heart. I run my fingers along the edges, amazed--they suddenly feel smoother and more whole.

And my jeans?

I put them in my suitcase.

I've decided I'll just wear them anyway.

I'm slowly learning it's not about being perfect... 

but being perfectly loved.
There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear. 1 John 4:18

No comments: