Monday, November 29

Perfect in Weakness.

“Some days are for living and others are for just getting through.” 
(M. Forbes)

Read II Cor. 12:1-10



The bad days have more hours in them than the good ones. There isn’t actual scientific evidence to support my claim, but I hear mothers out there saying, “Amen!” The hours stretch in those hard times and one defeat is heaped on another like smelly rags on a broken washing machine. My attitude is bad, my reactions are bad, the kids behavior is bad… it seems to be a never-ending cycle of agony.



If there is a moment or two of quiet to collect myself at the end of the craziness, I realize my major disappointment is in myself. Why didn’t I handle things differently? Why couldn’t I have done this instead of that? Why did I behave so nasty today? Why couldn’t I handle things more like Christ? There may have been a bazillion frustrations outside my control on that bad day, but my actions were in my control. And that is my guilt.





So I come sheepishly to my Father. I crumple in exhaustion at the throne and ask again for grace. I fall so short of the perfection I long for. I want to be the best, calmest, most creative, most energetic, compassionate, disciplined, passionate, loving, kindest mom on the block. Yet, I find myself time and again crying to Jesus, “I didn’t even come close to ‘the ideal’ today Lord!” And his answer? It isn’t “I can’t use you, you do everything wrong,” like I hear playing on repeat inside my brain. Instead, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness" II Cor. 12:9.



We have a loving and compassionate God who sees our weakness and sees an opportunity – an opportunity for His power to be made perfect. It’s awe inspiring and humbling. I still dare to say, “This day was a wash! I failed!” And it is true that I can’t take it back, but I can move forward.



The next day after the bad day always comes. The sun rises again and it is full of new opportunities. My failures are vivid in my recent memory, but they are forgiven by God. “I can do everything through him who gives me strength.” (Phil. 4:13). Yesterday I tried my way and it stunk big time. Today, His power, his strength + my weakness = a good day.






Posted by Alysun

2 comments:

Andee said...

I might have to bookmark this post. This is definately something I need to be reminded of often! Beautiful song too. I had never heard it before.

Katie said...

Awesome, thank you for your honesty. I can COMPLETELY relate! Good to know others feel the same.