Wednesday, June 8

Sink or Swim

My baby Elliott has this new thing where I lay him down to take a nap he rolls over onto his belly and starts crying.






Nope, that isn't my actual child.


He lays there crying until I come in again and roll him back over to his back.


He knows how to roll himself over, yet he waits.


My kids have a funny way of revealing God and his intentions to me.


I am the child that lays there crying waiting to be rolled over.


God watches me, knowing that I am fully capable of rolling myself back to my preferred position.


Yet I cry.


I work myself up and convince myself that I can't do it and I need God to do everything for me.


Silly me.


"Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand." (Ephesians 6:13)


He's equipped me with what I need to face my giants. He's not going to lift me above those situations where I find myself rolled over and crying. He's going to prepare me for them, condition my heart, and watch me sink or swim.


Don't get me wrong, I need to call on God for assistance daily. I can't get through anything without him. But I can rest on the fact that he thinks I'm strong enough to face this world and he's given me his word to rely on.


I can roll myself over, stick my own pacifier back in my mouth, and announce to the world, "Bring it on."


I have a healthy dose of the Holy Spirit dwelling inside me that reminds I can do it.



"Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God."


Ephesians 6:13-17


Written by Ash, borrowed from her blog, the UglyHomeMaker. Ashley lives a blessed life with her husband, two sons and baby on the way.

1 comment:

Andee said...

I needed that this morning! Thank you. "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." When our strength is gone, he's willing and able to do it for us, but he gives us the capacity to do a lot more than we realize.