Tuesday, February 14

Looking Back At Change

Read Jeremiah 18:3-6



Written by Ashley K.





My husband and I have each have our ten year reunions coming up.



Yikes. High school was rough for me.




That’s when I started experimenting with liquid liner. I tried dying my frizzy hair blonde which turned out orange and called it good. I was a complete snob who handed out judgements whenever I could. Worse yet, I wore cargo pants. Seriously. Cargo Pants. What self respecting female stuffs herself into thin pants with bulky pockets on the side and then tops them off with a pair of Doc Martens? Well, I did.



Part of me is excited to go to the reunion to find out what people are doing and where they have been. The other part is nervous that people will still look at me like the bratty orange haired girl that I used to be.



The truth is, I have changed. A lot. Thank God. God wants us to change. Yes, He loves us very much just the way we are, but He wants us to change. He wants us to look back on the last ten years of our life and see progress, acquired wisdom, and growth.



We aren’t supposed to stay the same and assume that we can’t get any better. That would imply perfection, and sister, you and I are far from perfect! Call out to God and ask Him to help you be a better you. Open up your heart and your mind to change. It’s a choice that you have to make.




Beth Moore posed a question in her latest bible study on James that has really got me thinking. She asked, “When is the last time a bible study or scripture made you change? Not moved you or made you feel better but made you change?”



She then referred to us as “forgetful listeners.” We may listen to God’s teachings in church or do our devotions every morning, but are we putting them into practice? Are we truly loving our husbands in a patient and kind way? (1 Corinthians 13:4) Are we sincerely following God and trusting that He is doing everything to prosper us? (Jeremiah 29:11) Do we give a gentle answer to our children or do we deliver harsh words and stir up anger? (Proverbs 15:1)



Are you changing? Are you allowing God to mold you? Are you trying to be more like Jesus? God calls us to change to fit every season of life. Pick up that call and find out how you can fulfill your potential.



 “...‘Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand.’ ” 

(Jeremiah 18:6)

1 comment:

Sara said...

Third reminder today that I need to change...yes, Lord, I think I'm starting to get it.