Wednesday, October 6

Revitalized

Posted by Alysun


Read Psalm 51




Has your spiritual life ever felt stagnant, repetitious, drab, uninteresting, stuffy, ho hum, unexciting, tiresome, and/or mundane? Not so nice words used to describe a relationship with the Creator of the Universe, author and perfector of our faith. It is hard to admit, but it happens. We look around and wonder, am I the only one who ever struggles with a “blah” Christianity? Most of us have been there at one time or another…. even writers for Drops.





It’s easy to slip into a stage of complacency in our spiritual walk. These stages can last a day when the words in my Bible skip right passed my retinas and never enter my heart or mind. Or they can last years with tiny babies, husband, and home getting all my attention and my Bible lost amid the dust bunnies under my bed. I would read inspiring words from thriving Christian women and think, ya that’s nice, and move on through my boring, tasteless existence.


We don’t have to stay there! A Bible study I am working on says, “Having believed in Him, we are called to continue believing all He came to do and say. Tragically, some who have believed in Christ have believed little of Him since. He who began a work in us wants to accomplish far more! God is calling us to leave the passive life bred by a past-tense view of faith and to participate in present-active-participle believing.” (Beth Moore, Believing God).


“Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us” (Heb. 12:1). That vibrant faith sounds tantalizingly beautiful. But how do we run with perseverance when we can’t even get off the couch?


Help!! Ask for help. God is waiting for us to grasp his hand. Moms know this picture all too well as we often stand with a hand outstretched behind us to a child who is some distance back. “Come on, I’m waiting for you. Take my hand and we’ll go together.” Psalm 86:11 says, “Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart.”


Get up. A vibrant relationship with Christ requires movement. Go toward change. It won’t happen while we are standing still. For me, it was finding my Bible again after years of neglect. I prayed for forgiveness for my absence and meant my vow to change. "Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord" (Acts 3:19).


Do it. Even when it is dry as 3 day old bread, read the Bible. If the words aren’t soaking in, stop and read it again. Read the same verse over and over again until it resonates. It will be easier next time. Praying for a hunger and thirst will turn that dry, old bread into a bountiful gourmet feast. “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness for they will be filled” (Matthew 5:6).


Memorize it. This passage says why it is so important: “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work” (2 Timothy 2:16-17). Being thoroughly equipped means we will no long be content sitting on the couch.


Write it. It helps to write it down. It’s harder for our minds to wander when we are working hard to express ourselves in the written (or typed) word. Yes, my hands can hover over the keys motionless while I think of what’s for dinner, but I have the tangible reminder to finish what I was doing. Meditation takes on a powerful form in written thoughts and prayers. “I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word” (Psalm 119:15-16).


Rest. “Quiet time” can be a tantalizing, impossible dream as a mom of young kids. Yet it is so necessary! Resting in God’s goodness, His strength, and His love revitalizes our tired souls.  I treasure a daily rest time for my kids (and myself) that I implement like a dictator. One friend I know goes into the bathroom and locks the door to find peace. Whether it is on the front porch, in bed, on the "throne," or in the shower, we need rest! “Be still and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10).




Now how can we describe a relationship with the Creator of the Universe, author and perfector of our faith? Appealing, stimulating, interesting, moving, eye-popping, impelling, sensational, thrilling, extravagant, mind-blowing, exhilarating, impressive, moving, stirring, lively, astonishing, dramatic, electrifying, groovy, breathtaking, intriguing. That is revitalized faith with our God!

1 comment:

Andee said...

I needed that today! Thank you, Alysun.