Friday, May 11

Erasing Judgement. Embracing Love.

“So whatever you wish that others would do to you, 

do also to them...” 

(Matthew 7:12) 



My husband and I were at Wal Mart one evening when I spotted a potentially impoverished man. He appeared to be very dirty and was talking to himself. I saw a woman dodge out of his way and roll her eyes as she pushed her cart passed him.



 “Hey Steve,” the man said to my husband as he walked towards us.



How on earth does my husband know this man? I hope people don’t think we are with him. I thought to myself.



My husband stopped what he was doing and had a very friendly conversation with the man. As I stood there, feeling judged by the people passing by, the whisper of the Holy Spirit grabbed my attention.



“Whatever you do for the least of these, you do for me.” 



Leave it to the Holy Spirit. Always budding in!



As my husband and I walked away I was overcome with shame. I felt a lump in my throat and a queasiness in my stomach. How could I respond that way to someone that my God created? He was no less deserving of my love and attention than someone that appears clean and put together.



I learned a valuable lesson that day. God isn’t going to saturate our lives exclusively with beautiful people that don’t have any baggage. Everyone that crosses our path isn’t going to have a personal relationship with him. It’s our job to be Jesus to everyone He introduces us to.



My husband has invited this gentleman over to our house a few times for dinner. He may not look like us, talk like us, or share our beliefs, but he needs to be fed physically and spiritually just as much as we do. Who are we to deny someone the Lord obviously wants us to reach out to?



The next time you come across someone that looks like they are down on their luck, don’t make it your job to judge why they are in the position they are in. Maybe they are an alcoholic, maybe they aren’t really homeless, maybe it is all a ploy, but that’s not your business. Your calling is not to asses their situation and deem them worthy of a blessing. Your job is to simply be the blessing. 



 “...let your light shine before others, 

so that they may see your good works 

and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.” 

(Matthew 5:16)



-Ashley K.

2 comments:

Hippy Chick said...

Love, love, love this! So true. There are many times that all these people need are someone to care about them. Sometimes only a prayer can be said. I want to be much better at this too!! I need to take it past knowing their type due to my prior job and start practicing it. Thanks for the kick in the rear.

abertolini said...

love this! Thank you