Tuesday, May 1

More Than Enough

Read Matthew 6:25-34




“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, 

what you will eat or drink; 

or about your body, what you will wear.... 

Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap 

or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. 

Are you not much more valuable than they? 

Can any one of you by worrying add a 

single hour to your life?" 

Matthew 6:25-27





We live extravagant lives. The more the better! The bigger the better! So much so that we forget to be thankful when "just" our needs are supplied.




The other day I was craving a soda and took care of my need want at a convenient drive-thru window. I didn't want very much, just enough to quench my thirst for carbonated deliciousness. I ordered the value size thinking it would be small-ish for the price. At the window I handed over my money and the fast-food gal handed me a full-to-the-brim cup the size of which reminded me of a water tower on the horizon of a rural landscape. Enough to quench the thirst of a small town.



It didn't fit in my cup holder it was so huge.




We are used to extravagance. God lavishes us with big, beautiful blessings. Those are pretty easy to be grateful for, yet I still find myself praying for "more" every day. I need more patience. I need more time in the day. I need to get more done. I need my kids to be more obedient. I need more sleep. 




I recently gave birth to my 4th child, so you can imagine I'm not feeling very rested. I long for more sleep. I crave it. I even feel frustrated and bitter when I am up most of the night and then can't take a nap. It's just too hard! I can't get through the day on so little sleep, I say to myself (and out loud the few people who will listen).




A dose of reality and a reminder of God's goodness came in a card from a friend. She said, "Instead of praying for more sleep, pray that God supplies enough for your needs each day."





Enough. Not too much, not crazy-soda-pop huge. Just enough.





The Lord's prayer puts it simply as "give us today our daily bread" (Matthew 6:9-13). Please God give us just enough to take care of our needs.





How God must grow weary of only hearing thanks for His extra-ordinary gifts. I remind myself of my children when they complain about every-day details. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches aren't awesome or good enough for a "thank you". They want something more. 





And I'm guilty of the same thing. God never promises us a lavish lifestyle. In fact, he says the Christian life will be hard, but He will always take care of our needs. Today I am concentrating on wanting less, being thankful for more. Instead of craving more of everything, I can say "thank you" for my needs being supplied. Even the few hours of interrupted sleep I got last night. They are enough.




"My God will meet all your needs..." 

Philippians 4:19

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So very true;) Very nicely said and written. I feel I'm the most satisfied with 'just enough'. He knows our needs better than we do;) Thank u for sharing your gift of writing with us...we are blessed by the time you take write;) Blessing to you and your family;)