Wednesday, July 4

For Freedom


Please read Romans 6:15-22


Independence Day. Today the flags fly, the anthems soar, the fireworks boom. Today, we well celebrate our country’s independence with barbeques and parades.


When was your Independence Day?


“When you were slaves to sin, you were free from the control of righteousness.”
 Romans 6:20


Mine was one day when I was about four years old. My parents were listening to a record (as in LP. Yep. It was that long ago), and a song came on about heaven. Having been in Sunday school my entire life, I knew what I needed to do to get there. The song was about the streets of gold, and I wanted to see them so bad! I knew my parents were going to heaven someday, and I didn’t want them going without me. So, very quietly, I went into my room and, as they say in Sunday school, asked Jesus into my heart.


I remember feeling so… free. Weird feeling for a four year old, right? I doubt that I would have described it that way then. I was that kind of happy you just can’t help. When you just have to smile or else you might burst.


I’m not sure when the happy wore off, but it did eventually. And eventually, I turned back to the one who set me free. Just like we all do, I voluntarily stepped back into slavery to sin. And Jesus kept freeing me, again and again.


Freedom in Christ is not a one time battle or a signature on a piece of parchment. It is a willing determination to refuse to go back into slavery. Often. Daily. (Anyone else?)


That is why we should remember. That is why our individual Independence Day is so important. If we forget what we were saved from, it starts to seem like maybe it wasn’t so bad. Remember the Israelites telling Moses they should have stayed in Egypt? It’s like that. The slavery starts to compel us, and unless we constantly remind ourselves of God’s great grace, we will go back.


“It is for freedom that Christ has set us free” (Galatians 5:1).


He set us free so we could be free from the trap of sin and be fully alive in him.


Take some time today to thank him for our country’s freedom, and for your personal freedom. If the past is compelling you, remember the fireworks in heaven the day you asked Jesus into your heart.


“It is for freedom…”

1 comment:

Sherri said...

I remember that day! Sometime in 1983
"Sing, Sing Sing" by the Gaithers. (I 'm not sure if thats the name of it, Now I want to google it,) haven't heard that song in years! Love this post! (of course)