Friday, May 6

Oh the Deep, Deep Love of Jesus

We post songs on Fridays. It's not because we're lazy, I promise. On Fridays when you come by here, we want you to leave refreshed and inspired. Well, we pray that happens ever day, but by the time Friday rolls around, most of us are tapped out. The week has sucked the enthusiasm right out of us and we have a weekend ahead of us consisting of t-ball practice, concerts, church, birthday parties, household projects and dinner guests. So on Fridays we leave you with music. 

Music has a way of sinking into subconscious and popping up out of nowhere. I love the words as much as the melody, although I find I seldom remember the words and just go with the emotions of the music. That's why we post the lyrics. Read them as poetry, then listen to them as song. The combination will move you.

Oh the Deep, Deep Love of Jesus is one of my all time favorite hymns. It was written by a man named Samuel Trevor Francis. One dark and stormy night he found himself looking down on the churning waters of the Thames River with a choice: should he listen to the dark voices and jump in letting the river pull him down into oblivion, or keep on. he kept on and came to an understanding of the mighty love of Jesus. 

  

O the deep, deep love of Jesus, vast, unmeasured, boundless, free!
Rolling as a mighty ocean in its fullness over me!
Underneath me, all around me, is the current of Thy love
Leading onward, leading homeward to Thy glorious rest above!



O the deep, deep love of Jesus, spread His praise from shore to shore!
How He loveth, ever loveth, changeth never, nevermore!
How He watches o'er His loved ones, died to call them all His own;
How for them He intercedeth, watcheth o'er them from the throne!



O the deep, deep love of Jesus, love of every love the best!
'Tis an ocean vast of blessing, 'tis a haven sweet of rest!
O the deep, deep love of Jesus, 'tis a heaven of heavens to me;
And it lifts me up to glory, for it lifts me up to Thee!





No comments: